Verification & Certification of Assemblies of Hazardous Area Equipment
Provides assurance that recognized best practice has been employed in the selection and construction of the assembly.
Assemblies of already-certified ATEX equipment require the system integrator to compile a technical file and assess the various sub-assemblies and certified products together. Notified Body services are not required under ATEX unless the assembly has been modified from its original certified design or it incorporates certified ‘U-type’ components, which must be re-assessed in the final ‘equipment’ application. However, even under the voluntary route, increasingly end users and plant operators require a third-party verification of the compliance of such assemblies to international standard and recognized codes of practice.
Typical products include:
- Enclosure systems incorporating U-type Components, certified by Unit Verification;
- Skids or containerized equipment packages;
- Temporary equipment packages.
Accredited certification bodies such as DNV can provide third party assessment and certification for such assemblies on a voluntary basis to provide assurance that recognized best practice has been employed in the selection and construction of the assembly.
Related Directives, schemes and standards
ATEX Directive – 2014/34/EU (which replaces the original ATEX Directive 94/9/EC)
IECEx – The IEC System for Certification to Standards relating to Equipment for use in Explosive Atmospheres
- IEC/EN 60079-0: Explosive atmospheres - Part 0: Equipment - General requirements;
- IEC/EN 60079-14: Explosive atmospheres - Part 14: Electrical installations design, selection and erection;
- IEC 61892: Mobile and fixed offshore units - Electrical installations.
For applications where ATEX or IECEx Unit Verification is required, DNV perform a full evaluation of component parts according to the appropriate international standards and codes of practice to issue a Certificate of Conformity.
Our IECEx Certification Body and ATEX Notified Body services are issued by DNV Product Assurance AS in Oslo, Norway.