Instrumentation and automation installed to allow for unattended machinery space.
The class notation E0 denotes that the safety of the ship in all sailing conditions, including when manoeuvring and alongside, is equivalent to that of a ship whose machinery spaces are attended. Passenger ships must, according to SOLAS, be especially assessed.
This proves to the Flag Administration that the vessel’s machinery spaces are arranged and equipped such as to ensure that the safety of the ship in all sailing conditions is equivalent to that of a ship whose machinery spaces are attended. This will in most cases have an effect on the minimum safety manning stipulated by the Flag Administration.
The class notation E0, which is considered to meet the regulations of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) for unattended machinery spaces, is assigned when:
- the main alarm system is fitted with alarms relayed to the bridge and the engineers’ accommodation
- a watch responsibility transfer system is fitted.
- a bridge control system for the main propulsion machinery is provided
- safety features, such as the monitoring of bilges, fire safety measures and control and monitoring of essential components and systems to ensure their safe performance, are installed.
The E0 class notation requires systematic maintenance and functional testing of the control and monitoring systems and necessary arrangements to be performed and documented and the equipment necessary for testing to be available.
This class notation is assigned after a successful:
- Plan approval based on documentation as listed in the DNV Rules for Ships Pt.6 Ch.3
- Manufacturing survey and/or survey on board after completed installation.
The class notation is maintained with annual and/or complete surveys on board.
The approval of submitted documentation normally takes 31 days. A manufacturing survey based on approved documentation normally takes 1 day. A manufacturing survey may not be required if the system is DNV type approved or the manufacturer has a Manufacturer Survey Arrangement (MSA) with DNV. Onboard surveys based on approved documentation are usually performed within 1 day.